Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tieing up some fallen branches.

   Several branches have bend over from a heavy rains last night.


The roots has finally grown big enough to block the flow of water thru the pipe.  This in turn is keeping nutient from reaching all the plants.  Many leaves are turning brown.  Will be shuting down this system shortly.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Need to use a ladder to reach the tops the cherry tomatoes now, which are approx. 11 feet above the ground.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

New pictures the zucchini plants


Zucchini plants are growing little faster than I expected.  Last year I put 2 plants to a bucket. This year I put 6 plants, with the intention of pulling out 2 plants from  each bucket.  But now the roots have all grown together.  I'm worry that the root mass will be to dense and the water will not drain from the buckets.  Time will tell.   

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Nylon Trellis added for plant support

Here I'm holding a left over piece of the nylon trellis that I just added. The trellis has 7 inch squares. The actual piece I put on was strench out to be 5' x 10' in size. Ten foot sections of 1/2" conduit were added to the long edges of trellis to keep the trellis strench out.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Support structure in place for zucchini plants

New 3' x 9' support grid was built and put in place today. This is using the same style 2" x 4" fencing as last year. This will provide each hydro bucket with 27 square feet of support.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Plant support to keep plants from being wind blown

1 1/2'" diameter pvc piping structure added. Temporary strings were then added to keep the plants from being wind blown during thunderstorms. The 1/2" pvc pipe was added for support to the first two plants. Will be replacing the strings with a nylon trellis later.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Pump failure

Another pump wore out. Second pump in 4 years, not bad. Came home tonight and found the pump on the NFT/DWC system making a strange sound. No water was being pumped. Switch out the pump with another, was back up and running.